Pete Fornatale and Jonathon Kinchen have a brilliant podcast called the In the Money Podcast, where they talk about handicapping, racing previews, and more. I recently appeared on the show to talk about books, artwork, and other gift ideas for the horse racing person in your life. Here are the books that I recommended!
Month: December 2019
It’s Giving Tuesday!
Happy Giving Tuesday! With Thanksgiving behind us and the winter holidays in front of us, Giving Tuesday is a day to celebrate those who make a difference in our communities by giving a little to help them continue their missions. If you are looking for racing-related charities to give to today, look no further! Here is a list of some worthwhile organzations doing great work in all aspects of the sport:
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame — Today, they’re looking for 452 donors to give a little or a lot in honor of each of their 452 honorees.
- Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance — This organization provides a list of aftercare organizations accredited by the TAA if you are looking for a local equine charity.
- Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation — The GJC conducts research that is fundamental for solving ongoing health issues for all horses. They have funded over 300 projects at a number of universities across the world.
- Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund — The PDJF relies solely on donations to provide financial assistance to jockeys who have suffered catastrophic on-track injuries.
- Belmont Child Care Association — The BCCA provides childcare for all workers at Saratoga, Aqueduct, and Belmont Park. Since most workers rise quite early and can work late into the day, this organization provides both childcare and early childhood education to these racetrackers.
- Backside Learning Center — The BLC at Churchill Downs provides educational opportunities to both employees and their families. They offer everything from ESL education for both children and adults to after-school and summer programs for the children of Churchill Down’s equine workers.
- Thoroughbred Charities of America — The TCA provides grants to nonprofit organizations that benefit the thoroughbred and the people who work with them. You can give to the TCA and know that the funds will go to any number of organizations within the industry, including research, aftercare, therapy, and equine employee assistance.
- Saratoga WarHorse — The Saratoga WarHorse program provides equine-assistance therapy to veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress. Working with the horses can provide physical, mental, and emotional relief from the symptoms of PTS for these people who have given so much to our country.
These are only a few of the many organizations out there, but I know all of these will appreciate any and all donations. Big or small, whatever you can give will find its use in many worthwhile initiatives that benefit both the horses and the humans of our sport. I hope you will consider giving on this Giving Tuesday!
A Year of Gratitude
Churchill Downs, Pimlico Race Course, Saratoga Race Course, Kentucky Downs, Keeneland Race Course.
The Kentucky Derby Museum, the Keeneland Library, Audley Farm, Long Branch Historic House and Farm, and the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.
From Kentucky to Alabama to Maryland to Virginia to New York, thousands of miles via my trusty minivan or leaving on a jet plane.